[CT Birds] Flood gates about to open?

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Thu May 1 21:39:21 EDT 2014

It hasn't been dark very long, but the radar from Virginia north is exploding, especially Delaware and NJ.

The radar I check for night migrants is here:
The "Regional reflectivity" setting is the one I generally use, and then I click on the letter code on Long Island, or on Contiguous U.S. at the top.  The time settings, it should be noted, are all UTC so at this time of year are offset four hours ahead from EDT.  Playing the loop from sunset on for tonight and you will see why I describe it as exploding.

For the best results in CT we need at least some of the wind to come from the west, which right now at least we have.  For wind I like to check the sites below.  The first is a forecast so that is invaluable.  The second one is just cool; click to zoom in and drag to move around.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT