[CT Birds] "Warbler Envy" Highlights

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 21:00:47 EDT 2014

Migration finally kicks in and I had to work most of the day,but,no problem! I stayed local when I did get out after 2:30 and I took the "road less traveled" and I'm glad I did.I found lots of new birds for the year and I saw unexpected behavior that I had not seen in previous years.
Here are my highlights.

5/2/14-Westport-Haskins Property- Black-billed Cuckoo(new and very unexpected here)

Sherwood Island SP- Common Yellowthroat(otherwise very quiet)

Grace Salmon Park-Spotted Sandpiper,45 Greater a Yellowlegs,5 Least Sandpipers,Northern Waterthrush(a first at this location)

Thomas Road- Scarlet Tanager( heard and seen while driving)

Northern Waterthrush(it's back)

Brett Woods-Great Crested Flycatcher,Yellow-throated Vireo,Blue-gray Gnatcatchers,Ruby-crowned Kinglets,3Hermit Thrush,Yellow-rumped Warblers,Black-throated Green Warbler,Black & White Warblers, American Redstarts(m & f)
I was here very late in the day and most of the birds were silent.I only heard the B & W warbler and then noticed a small flock of birds moving in the trees.If I hadn't stopped and picked up my bins to scan the trees I could have easily missed these birds.
Weston- Trout Brook Valley-Bradley Rd-( in the "meadow" where they have cut the trees and piled up the branches)Ruby-throated Hummingbird,White-eyed Vireo,Blue-headed Vireo,Red-eyed Vireo,6 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers,Nashville Warbler,Pine Warbler,Black & White Warblers,Worm-eating Warbler,2 Ovenbirds

Tina Green
Sent from my iPhone