[CT Birds] Southbury, Bent of the River

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun May 4 20:58:14 EDT 2014

The NHBC walk at the Bent of the River Audubon Sanctuary in Southbury had a good turnout of about 20 birders to start.  Overall it was quiet.  We didn't manage quite as many (8) warblers as the walk there the day before (12).  We had about 50 species with some highlights including Worm-eating Warbler (only heard by a few), Solitary Sandpiper (as well as Spotted), a flyover Bald Eeagle, and a flyby Pileated Woodpecker.  Early sightings of Indigo Bunting were alright, but for those who finished the day on the birding balcony the views were extraordinary, as were the opportunities to watch Ruby-throated Hummingbirds up close.

But the highlight was probably a Winter Wren that not only sang for use for a long while but also perched up singing in plain view for at least a couple of minutes.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT