[CT Birds] Two Goshawk Reports

Kateri Kosek katrose at frontiernet.net
Mon May 5 23:25:09 EDT 2014

To add to the Goshawks coming out of the woodwork, I may have seen one this morning as well. I was driving on Rt. 44 between Norfolk and Winsted, and what looked like a pale accipiter with a noticeably heavyset body swooped into the woods on the side of the road. I can't be sure, as I only got a glimpse and didn't see where it went. But I was right in the middle of a lot of state forest land.

Also, I discovered some excellent trails right in the center of Canaan today. I walked two segments of the North Canaan Greenway Trail. One is only a quarter mile and is sandwiched behind a McDonalds and a church, but it was beautiful, and full of birds, including Rough-winged Swallow and Blue-winged Warbler. The other section was bigger with a nice marsh, and had Least Flycatchers, redstart, Chestnut-sided, Warbling Vireo.

29 species within earshot of Canaan traffic, and that was starting at 11 in the morning. Had no idea this was there. Nice job Canaan!

Kateri Kosek
Sheffield, MA