[CT Birds] Osbornedale

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue May 6 14:05:59 EDT 2014

Spend the morning at Osbornedale State park in Derby, covering both sides of the hill and the fields at the far end.  The most surprising bird was an American Bittern.  I was walking between the road the the first pond across from the Kellog center and it flew off from the edge of the pond, crossing to land over by the berm that separates the two ponds.  I don't often add anything to my Osbornedale list, but that was new.

Even without that it was a good day.  51 species, with 12 warbler species, including my FOY Chestnut-sided Warbler, Magnolia Warbler and American Redstart.  It seemed like Northern Parulas were everywhere.  I did not find my target bird, Orchard Oriole.

As I was returning home I ran into Bill Banks and we checked out the fields at the top of Rimmon Hill Rd in Beacon Falls and managed to get two male Bobolink.  Still hard to hear and see because the only tall grass is at the far bottom of the field

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT