[CT Birds] Dead Birds Wanted!

Kevin Burgio kevin.burgio at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:37:38 EDT 2014

Marty,

Kathy mentioned that CAS has a scavenge permit through the Fish and
Wildlife Service, which allows them to collect and store birds that have
already died.  UConn, Fairfield University, and Yale also have such
permits, though, at UConn (where I do my research), we get very few
specimens donated to us. So, it is entirely legal for anyone to pick up a
dead bird and put it in the freezer, as long as they intend (and do) bring
it to a place, such as CAS, UConn, or etc. that has a permit to take them.

As someone who does a lot of research with bird specimens, I cannot
overstate the importance of people contributing any birds they may find!
Each specimen may be key to some scientific study one day andI second how
important it is to write down information about the bird when it is found,
particularly the date and location.

Best,
Kevin Burgio
Hamden