[CT Birds] Merlin -- yes, to id.: Re: Bird Apps

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Fri May 9 13:33:28 EDT 2014

Yes, briefly last week.  It is an identification tool, asking a series of questions, each with a fixed set of answers:  relative size;  color (up to 3);  location;  habitat where seen;  maybe something else.  It then gives you a list of possible birds.  I.e., the point is to whittle down the choices to a manageable number to check manually.

I had a Black & White Warbler on the ground, and being on the ground stumped the app.  You can't skip a question, and you can't say no to an option, e.g., in color, you can't negate red or orange.

Probably best for a beginner;  depending on how they develop the tool, it may be more helpful for others with tough id. problems.