[CT Birds] Fw: Sam Wheeler Reed Park

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Sat May 10 20:24:35 EDT 2014

The bobolinks have returned to Reed Park in Bloomfield. At least 6 males on territory. Also one mystery sparrow....sitting in my car with Sibley guide in front of me I can see this bird only 50 feet away and yet nothing seems to match. I came home and checked the Crossley guide, which I like because it has close and far views. Okay, the closest is a Baird's sparrow, but I am thinking if I put that on the bird list everyone will think I am crazy. I have finally decided it is most likely a Savannah, but there is still something that does not quite look right for that bird.

I am terrible at sparrow identification, so do not go running over to Reed Park!  At least I am sure it is not a female redwing blackbird, which has fooled me many times.

Zellene