[CT Birds] Fairfield Birding - 22 Warbler Species, etc.

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sat May 10 22:06:31 EDT 2014

Today was awesome. It was only the second time I have seen over twenty
warbler species in one day in Fairfield, and I was able to best my old
total of twenty, notching twenty-one wood warblers over the course of the
day. The twenty-second bird was a CAPE MAY WARBLER found at Lake Mohegan by
James Purcell. At the time, I was off birding a different section of the
open space area, and was unable to catch up with this bird. It apparently
flew moments after James was able to clinch its identity, flying completely
out of the open space and into one of the surrounding neighborhoods. Those
that wish to try for this bird are welcome to contact either James or
myself for directions, but this one is probably a "needle in a haystack" at
best. Besides, East Rock seems to have Cape May covered...

Over the course of the day, I covered a good deal of the preserved land of
Northern Fairfield, from dawn to dusk, noting the following highlights in
the process:

>From Alex Burdo:
5/10 - Fairfield, Lake Mohegan -- Sixty-five species including sixteen
warbler species highlighted by 1 BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, 1 CANADA WARBLER, 2
Chestnut-sided Warbler, 2 Blue-winged Warbler and 1 Prairie Warbler. Other
highlights included my first Eastern Wood-Pewee of the year, 1 Least
Flycatcher, 1 SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 3 Scarlet Tanager, 2 Swamp Sparrow, 5
Rose-breasted Grosbeak and 3 Orchard Oriole.
Hemlock Reservoir and environs -- 10 CLIFF SWALLOW, 2 Pine Warbler, 1
Blue-winged Warbler.
Hoydens Hill Open Space -- 1 flyover BOBOLINK, 1 Least Flycatcher, 1 Great
Crested Flycatcher, 4 Blue-winged Warbler, 1 Scarlet Tanager and 2 Orchard
Oriole.
Brett Woods -- Highlights from two stops, one starting at one o'clock and
the other at dusk: 1 YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, 1 BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, 1
LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, 1 Blackpoll Warbler (found by James Purcell) 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee, 3 Great Crested Flycatcher, 1 Scarlet Tanager.
Larsen Sanctuary -- 1 SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 1 WORM-EATING WARBLER, 1 Great
Crested Flycatcher, 1 White-eyed Vireo, 1 Eastern Bluebird, 3 Blue-winged
Warbler, 1 Magnolia Warbler (my 20th warbler of the day), 1 Swamp Sparrow.

>From James Purcell:
5/10 - Fairfield, Lake Mohegan -- 1 CAPE MAY WARBLER, seen from the path at
the top of the brushy slope overlooking the abandoned gray lake house.
Observed briefly before disappearing into one of the surrounding
neighborhoods.

Whew! Combine the twenty-two warblers seen by James and myself today with
the Bay-breasted and Wilson's from yesterday at the Birdcraft (neither of
these species were seen today), and you're looking at twenty-four warbler
species in Fairfield over a two day period. Gotta love May in CT.

Alex Burdo
Fairfield