[CT Birds] 5/11 - Quinnipiac River State Park

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun May 11 09:16:14 EDT 2014

This morning I birded the Q River State Park in North Haven for an hour,
accessed at the end of Banton Street. Being right along Rte 15, highway
noise was a big problem, even on a Sunday morning. The mosquitoes were
swarming. Habitat is really nice, floodplain along the river with tall
shade trees, mostly open understory with some areas of thicket. There is a
stand of planted spruces that should be good for boreal migrants such as
Cape May Warbler, and the floodplain looks beautiful for Prothonotary
Warbler.. If it wasn't for the highway noise, this could be a very good
spring birding location. Unfortunately, the noise was pretty bad, even
along sections of the trail/road that turned away from the highway. Not
sure if I'll be back based on the difficulty hearing the birds.

I tallied 12 warbler species including such migrants as BLACKBURNIAN and
WILSON'S.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com