[CT Birds] North Granby 5/11 - Golden-winged Warbler - O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Sun May 11 16:27:02 EDT 2014

My wife Chris and I led a bird walk for the Granby Land Trust today (as we do annually during the second week of May).  We tallied 57 species, including 15 warblers.  As we were walking back to our cars, I caught a song I haven't heard in years -- that of a Golden-winged Warbler.  I couldn't believe my ears.  We eventually got excellent looks at this stunning bird, a singing male.   A first in Connecticut for Chris and me.

My eBird report is below.
John Weeks
Chris Chinni

JG Property (Private Access), North Granby
May 11, 2014 6:37 AM - 9:47 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
57 species

Canada Goose  2
Wood Duck  2
Cooper's Hawk  1
Virginia Rail  1
Mourning Dove  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Least Flycatcher  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  1
Yellow-throated Vireo  2
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  3
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  1
Tree Swallow  1
Barn Swallow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  1
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  4     One pair observed at their nest.
Eastern Bluebird  2
Veery  1
Wood Thrush  2
Gray Catbird  6
Ovenbird  5
Louisiana Waterthrush  2
Northern Waterthrush  1
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Golden-winged Warbler  1
	Singing male bird, observed well by ten people, at least two of them (myself and Chris) experienced birders familiar 	with the species.
Black-and-white Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  3
American Redstart  5
Northern Parula  2