[CT Birds] Best backyard tree-Crab apple

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Sun May 11 20:04:48 EDT 2014

​5/11  Orange backyard.  7-7:40PM Nothing unusual but.....

After spending a week at 9500' in Evergreen Colorado visiting family (great
birds), and this weekend in Stowe,Vermont (Ovenbirds all over & common
Yellowthroats), I finally got to bird my backyard in Orange .  (Gotta get
out for these migrating warblers too).
My Crabapple tree was buzzing -literally-bumble bees all over,  a pair of
Veerys grabbing at the insects and petals of the crab apple flowers, 2
Magnolia Warblers also eating the bugs and petals, Catbirds (probably 10),
Robins and in the tangles in the yard a pair of Common Yellowthroats with a
flyover Great blue heron.  Probably the most quiet and calm birding I have
done in the past few weeks.  My Crabapple tree kept its fruit til
mid-January and now the blossoms smell beautiful and the bees & birds love
it.
Bev Propen, Orange