[CT Birds] Should the Solitary Sandpiper be considered vulnerable??

Paul Cianfaglione pgcianfaglione at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:35:59 EDT 2014

The high number of Solitary Sandpipers in the Wethersfield Meadows this
morning brought to mind a similar count that occurred there a few years
ago. If I recall correctly, those numbers exceeded 80 birds (between both
Wethersfield and Glastonbury). Back then, I did a little research on those
numbers and found the global population of this species to be quite low
(25,000 individuals, Estimates of shorebird populations in North America,
2001, Canadian Wildlife Service).

To this day, not much has changed regarding information on the population
status of the Solitary Sandpiper. In fact, Birds of North America (online
version) provides next to nothing about numbers or trends for the species.

According to Wikipedia, the Far Eastern Curlew’s status was updated to
Vulnerable in the 2010 IUCN red list of threatened species, with an
estimated 38,000 individuals in the world. If the curlew is vulnerable,
what is the status of the Solitary Sandpiper??

Believe it or not, shorebird interests still use the “*Solitary in
Nature”*as an excuse for what little is known about this species
conservation and
management. Solitary would not fit its nature today.

It seems to me, when conditions are right, our inland river floodplains
offer a wonderful place to find and count congregating “Solitary”
Sandpipers, as well as many other shorebird species.

Paul Cianfaglione