[CT Birds] Downy Woodpecker behavior

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Tue May 6 21:06:35 EDT 2014

Yesterday my husband and I saw a male Downy woodpecker drinking sugar water
from our hummingbird feeder!!  We've been feeding the hummingbirds for many
years and have never seen a woodpecker drink sugar water (we've seen
orioles & catbirds at the feeder).  Has anyone else ever seen this?  The
hummingbirds were not happy about it either!!  At least 2 males were
buzzing around trying to scare off the Downy but he just kept drinking.

The hummingbirds showed up here in North Stonington last Friday 5/2 along
with Baltimore Orioles, Wood Thrush, and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks all on the
same day.  The White-throated Sparrows have not been seen since that day
either.  I love this time of year!

Julie Keefer
North Stonington