[CT Birds] 5/7 North Granby: 52 species, 5 FOY and a Gnatcatcher nest

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Wed May 7 12:49:42 EDT 2014

FOY: Least Flycatcher, Scarlet Tanager, Veery, Red-eyed Vireo and Brown Thrasher.  The Thrasher was quite a surprise, as the site (marsh bordered by woods) offers little in the way of suitable habitat.

I watched a pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers make repeated visits to a tent-caterpillar web to harvest filaments for their nest located 30 ft up in a tree.  A Great Crested Flycatcher also put on a wonderful show, chasing bugs less than 10 ft from the ground and moving in a semi-circle thirty feet from me -- I could almost count its feathers in the forest-filtered sunlight.

The only sour note:  ticks were rampant.  I found five deer and one wood tick on my clothing.  Ugh.

John Weeks

JG Property (Private Access), North Granby
May 7, 2014 7:40 AM - 9:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling (walking)
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Sunny day; temps mid-40s to mid-50s F
52 species

Canada Goose  2
Wood Duck  3
Hooded Merganser  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Bald Eagle  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Least Flycatcher  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Yellow-throated Vireo  2
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  2
Tree Swallow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  1
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  5     Observed one pair harvesting tent-caterpillar web and lining their nest with it.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  1
Veery  1
Wood Thrush  4
Gray Catbird  3
Brown Thrasher  1     Unusual sighting in this location -- tossing leaves on woodland road adjacent to a marsh.
Ovenbird  2
Louisiana Waterthrush  3
Northern Waterthrush  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1