[CT Birds] Pine Grosbeaks at Hammo?

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed May 7 22:53:18 EDT 2014

Passing this along.  I am very sorry about the the delay in getting it out; it was filtered by the list for reasons I do not understand at all.

 From Carolyn Johns @Hammonasset
Entranceway to Willets Island in cedars on the right (before the path forks).  Three of us heard persistent chattering and then saw what looked like a Pine Grosbeak around 3PM this afternoon.  We could not positively id the bird, so thought some of you might want to take a look.
  The visuals could match either a Pine Grosbeak or a White-Winged Crossbill. The song matches that of a Pine Grosbeak. Would love to have some help on this..... We know either one of these would be pretty rare, but could find no other bird in our field guides that would fit the markings and coloration.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT