[CT Birds] Rosa Hartman, Stamford - Bay-breasted Warbler

Brenda Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Thu May 8 20:32:21 EDT 2014

5/8/14 -
In 20 minutes of birding at 6:00 pm this evening I had 11 species of warblers, several were multiples:

Northern Parula
Nashville Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Pine Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler - 1 gorgeous male in close view for what seemed like a 5 minute observation
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird (many singing)
Common Yellowthroat

Also observed:
many Ruby-crowned Kinglets
Wood Thrush (more than a usual nesting pair)
Veery - 5
Gray Catbird (many)

After seeing the group of warblers it became very quiet and seemed like they all vanished into thin air with the exception of 5 or more Black-throated Greens feeding way up high in a tree.  I stayed until 7:30 and with little activity observed from 6:30 on, it doesn't seem like there will be a lot of movement tonight, but who am I to know!  The Bay-breasted was in the eastern part of the park past the spruce grove located on the main trail below the parking lot.

Brenda Inskeep