[CT Birds] Hidden Gems Series: Early morning birding at Wilcox Park

Frank Gallo fgallo at ctaudubon.org
Sat May 10 14:44:15 EDT 2014

This morning's Hidden Gems bird walk at Wilcox park was superb. We tallied 51 species, including 13 warbler species, in 1.5 hours. It was quite foggy at first,  but there were many warblers moving through the trees. Highlights included, Bay-breasted, Blackburnian, Black-throated Blue, and Magnolia, and there were many more common species, such as, Black-throated Green, Northern Parula, Ovenbird, Black-and-white, and Yellow-rumped. Blue-headed Vireos made a good showing, as did Scarlet Tanagers, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, and Oriole.  It was a fine morning. We even spotted a second record for the park, a Glossy Ibis that flew over. Next Saturday's walk is at Mondo Pond during peak migration. We'll meet at the north lot on Naugatuck Ave. at 7:45 a.m. Please call Louise at 203-878-7440 to reserve a space. For details and list of all the walks visit our webpage at ctaudubon.org.

The Coastal Center also was hopping this morning. The pair of Blue-winged Teals continue in the marsh. More and more shorebirds are arriving daily; the white-rumped sandpipers are still being seen. There were several scarlet tanagers, a rose-breasted grosbeak, and the season's first Blackpoll warbler. Yesterday two Tennessee Warblers put in an appearance.

Frank Gallo, Director
Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center
1 Milford Point Road
Milford, CT 06460