[CT Birds] Racebrook Tract, Woodbridge and Old Tavern Rd. Orange, ospreys

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Mon May 12 12:29:46 EDT 2014

​5/12  9:05-10:05AM
Racebrook Tract-Orange/Woodbridge
Highlight was a BLUE WINGED WARBLER (there were 4 total, that I saw, ) with
a tiny twig in its beak, going into the tangles to the right after the
bridge, into its nest. I observed this behavior
twice. And other highlight was a MALE INDIGO BUNTING, singing from several
trees, again right after the bridge.
Seen and heard were WOOD THRUSH, EASTERN PHOEBE, singing HOUSE WRENS,
CARDINALS, HOUSE FINCHES, BLUE JAYS, TREE SWALLOWS collecting mud and
flying off, FLICKER, YELLOW WARBLER, RED BELLIED WOODPECKER, CATBIRDS, A
pair of  BALTIMORE ORIOLES, MOURNING DOVES, ROBINS, CHICKADEES, AMERICAN
CROWS, COMMON GRACKLES, and a  GREAT BLUE HERON flyover.

Then at Old Tavern Rd baseball fields, (10:35-10:45AM) Orange-the osprey
nest on the light stantion is active.
Female is down on the nest; male arrived at 10:37AM, calling, with another
osprey circling.
The male & female exchanged calls, as the male stayed on the nest.  Also
present was a pair of EASTERN PHOEBES, in a tree and a KILLDEER on grass.
Bev Propen, Orange.