[CT Birds] White-winged Scoter at Milford

Chris Bosak bozclark at earthlink.net
Mon May 12 17:30:24 EDT 2014

5-12-14 - Coastal Center at Milford Point - While doing shorebird monitoring this morning I came across a White-winged Scoter on the beach as shorebirds walked all around it. Earlier I had seen the scoter swimming and later I saw it fly, so it appeared healthy. Hours later when I looked at the photos I took, I noticed it has a protrusion of some sort on the back of its head. It was not windy this morning, so it is not merely feathers blowing in the wind. I looked at other photos of this species online and did not notice anything like it in any other photos. Any thoughts on what it might be? Photos at www.birdsofnewengland.com.
You can reply to my email or in this forum, or you can comment under the post. Thanks.

Other birds include: Piping Plover, Least Tern, American Oystercatcher, young Peregrine Falcon, Ruddy Turnstone, Dunlin, Lesser Yellowlegs, Red-breasted Merganser, Osprey, Semi-palmated Plover.

Chris Bosak
Stamford