[CT Birds] good bird movement late today

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 12 18:42:41 EDT 2014

Today, from 5:45 to 6:15 in my back yard as I was relaxing, I saw much bird movement up in the tree tops feeding and moving as they were heading south. Got my nocks and had 11 species of Warblers, best being an Orange crowned up at the top of a tall Oak tree! Never saw this before. Also seen were 6+ Baltimore Oriole, several Scarlet Tanager, assortment of Flycatchers, a Purple Finch, 2 Hummers, and 14 Nighthawks of course all flying due south! Living up on a 1,100 foot hilltop here in Harwinton, I've seen this movement late in the day before. Both fall and Spring. Seems migrating birds like to move up a hill or Mt late in the day, feeding for nourishment to be ready to push off and up for the nights migration. Up here in Harwinton, the trees are just beginning to leaf out, so most birds were easily seen.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton