[CT Birds] First Sunday Bird walk at Tod's point in Greenwich

Stefan Martin nafets519 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 21:38:45 EDT 2014

May 11th we held our first Sunday Bird walk at Tod's Point. Yes I know it's not the first Sunday of the month, but being peak migration we will have a total of 3 walks (this being the second). Our next walk is this coming Sunday at 8am. The park is currently checking beach passes so you need to get there before 7am if you are not a resident. We will be meeting at the second concession stand (second as you enter the park). We had a rather productive day tallying 68 species with 12 species of Warbler. The highlight of the day was obviously great looks at a young transitioning Male BLUE GROSBEAK (first spring record for the park to my knowledge). Here is a complete list put together by Cynthia Ehlinger

(In addition to the list)
White-throated Sparrow-4
Least Flycatcher-2
Wilson's Warbler-1

Greenwich Point Park, Fairfield, US-CT
May 11, 2014 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.7 mile(s)
Comments:    Stefan Martin. Meredith Sampson, Al S and others
65 species (+1 other taxa)

Brant (Branta bernicla)  20
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  2
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes)  2
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  2
Common Loon (Gavia immer)  2
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  10
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula)  3
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)  1
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  3
American Oystercatcher (Haematopus palliatus)  1
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  2
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca)  2
Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres)  X
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  2
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  11
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)  1
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo)  2
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  6
Yellow-billed/Black-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus/erythropthalmus)  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  2
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  1
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  2
Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus)  1
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)  3
White-eyed Vireo (Vireo griseus)  1    in woods near trailer field
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)  1
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)  2
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  1
Fish Crow (Corvus ossifragus)  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Stelgidopteryx serripennis)  1
Purple Martin (Progne subis)  5
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)  3
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  3
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea)  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)  1
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina)  1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  8
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  20
Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum)  2
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)  1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  6
Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla)  2
Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis)  1
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  3
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  4
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  6
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana)  1
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia)  2
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)  9
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica)  2
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens)  3
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens)  1
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  4
Blue Grosbeak (Passerina caerulea)  1    Transition plumage
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  3
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  3
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)  6
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)  1
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  3
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  6

Hope to see some of you there!