[CT Birds] Thrushes

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Tue May 13 18:48:30 EDT 2014

​5/13  Orange, front yard.
I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding identification  of
Swainson's thrush, Bicknell's thrush etc. through photographs.
For the past 2 days,In my front yard , by the Crabapple tree and my
evergreens, there have been 2 thrush-type birds which correspond exactly to
the Sibley illustration for
Swainsons Thrush.  I am no expert birder, however, but what I did is play
the Swainson Thrush song from my Ibird Pro.  Both birds came out of the
trees, onto the grass, within 8' of me. They flew around me  then from tree
to tree to ground.
First they start with the call of " whit"  and "peep", and as I continued
playing the song, they began to sing with it, exactly how it is on Ibird
Pro.
I had played other thrush songs, but did not get a response.  Only response
was to
the Swainson Thrush song.
So, I am wondering if this is a reliable identification method.
Bev Propen, Orange