[CT Birds] Orchard Orioles

Frank Gallo fgallo at ctaudubon.org
Thu May 15 12:17:05 EDT 2014

5/15 Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point: 2 male orchard orioles have been singing in the clearing for the last three days. The one I've seen is a second-year male with just a few blotchy chestnut patches under the tail and in the wing. There have been two Red-throated Loons in the river, and today, there were quite a few scoters flying west off shore. There have been a couple of White-rumped Sandpipers mixed in with the many Least Sandpipers, a few Semi-palmated sandpipers, and dozens of dunlin and semi-palmated plovers. I counted 17 Short-billed Dowitchers on the flats yesterday. All the shorebirds were flushed by a peregrine; there was quite a cloud of birds swirling around the marsh yesterday afternoon. We're still waiting on the red knots...  There was a report of three possible Whimbrel from yesterday evening seen from the boat ramp off Court Street, dropping into the marsh. They were not relocated nor confirmed, but keep your eyes open.

Frank

Frank Gallo, Director
Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center
1 Milford Point Road