[CT Birds] 5/17 - Fairfield Big Day - 127 species including KENTUCKY WARBLER

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sun May 18 11:15:10 EDT 2014

Yesterday was insane. The perfect combination of weather, luck and of
course, birds, came together to pave the way for a record-shattering
Fairfield Big Day effort. It was one of those days where everything was
perfectly aligned to allow for such a day, and where pretty much every bird
was exactly where it was "supposed to be".

I was joined by my Fairfield Birding "partner in crime" for yesterday's Big
Day, James Purcell. After years of birding the town together, it was the
great way to put an exclamation point on some fine Fairfield Birding
memories, and a wonderful friendship, before James departs for college. For
me, it was the greatest day of birding in Fairfield, ever.

I will provide more detail on the Big Day on my blog (
http://floridascrubjay.wordpress.com) over the coming week or two, but for
now, I have posted a brief synopsis below:

>From Alex Burdo and James Purcell:
5/17 - Fairfield, Townwide Big Day -- We recorded 127 species, crushing the
previous record of 118. The highlight of the day was a KENTUCKY WARBLER at
Grace Richardson Open Space, one of 23 species of warbler observed on the
day that also included TENNESSEE, BAY-BREASTED, BLACKBURNIAN, CANADA,
WILSON'S and  LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH. Other highlights included
YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON, BROAD-WINGED HAWK, AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER,
SOLITARY SANDPIPER, LEAST TERN, YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, ALDER FLYCATCHER,
WILLOW FLYCATCHER, WHITE-EYED VIREO, YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, PURPLE MARTIN,
BANK SWALLOW, CLIFF SWALLOW, MARSH WREN, GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH, BROWN
THRASHER, SALTMARSH SPARROW, FIELD SPARROW and INDIGO BUNTING. An eBird
checklist with details on where many of the highlights were seen can be
found here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18445243

Alex Burdo
Fairfield