[CT Birds] Identification Help Needed…

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Mon May 12 07:30:22 EDT 2014

Date: 5/11/14 6:19 pm
From: <waltduncan...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Identification Help Needed...
At Cabela's pond 6:30 this morning, I saw a bird that was bigger than a mockingbird, but smaller than a robin in the grass. It then flew to a small tree. In both settings it kept opening and shutting its wings. The bird was light brown. The one distinct field mark, of which I am sure, is that the underside of the wings had a large pure white patch, running from the body up about 1/3 of the wing. I believe the white patch ran from the front of the wing to the back. It definitely contrasted sharply with the rest of the light brown body and wing. Any ID help appreciated.

The behaviors you describe are consistent with Northern Mockingbird.  For at least the past several weeks, Northern Mockingbirds have been displaying at Cabela's with their wing opening-and-closing.  Several of us observed and commented on this behavior by mockingbirds on April 25 when we were viewing Upland Sandpipers.

Steve Broker (Cheshire)