[CT Birds] Northern Flicker behavior

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Mon May 12 08:44:17 EDT 2014

​5/12  Orange backyard
I was observing an interesting behavior by 3 Northern Flickers this morning.
2 Females were on a horizontal branch with bills facing skyward, tilting
their heads back & forth, bills almost used like swords.  Their tail
feathers were spread and they did a light dance on the branch.  The male
flicker was attached to the trunk of the tree underneath them.  His tail
also spread, then he approached the 2 females on the horizontal branch, he
displayed similar behavior of bill tilted upward, head back and forth and
dancing around on the branch.  I assume it was a courtship display, but I
am puzzled why the 2 females (no malar stripe) were displaying to each
Bev Propen, Orange