[CT Birds] Barred Owl - Bethany

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 12 20:17:31 EDT 2014

This late afternoon (700 pm) in the Bethany woods, I thought I'd heard a muffled bark and replied with a Barred Owl call.  I quickly found a Barred Owl calling away, perched out in the open about 50 meters away and 5 meters up.  He arched his body and retched out a "Who-cooks-for-you-all..." repeatedly, with his feathery muffler shaking, all while I was in plain sight.  After a couple minutes, he silently jumped the branch and disappeared in a couple enormous wing flaps.

'The most intelligent and entertaining conversation I'd had all day!

Steve Mayo