[CT Birds] Chester, 5/13 - apple tree gang

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Tue May 13 20:14:46 EDT 2014

Chester, 5/13 - A stunning array of visitors in our apple tree this
evening: catbird, rose-breasted grosbeak, male Baltimore oriole, a pair
o' parulas, and a male common yellowthroat. They were all spooked once
by a sharpie flyover, but it didn't stop their "anting". Toward dusk,
they moved into the crab apple tree - nothing like the shock of oriole
orange against crab apple pink.
On a related note, our oriole pair have woven a nest up in an oak, very
visible from our yard and house. Went from loose strands to a perfect
cup in three days. It will be fun to watch their progress.
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester