Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:46:50 EDT 2014

Mississippi Kites, or at least one, have returned to Great Pond in Simsbury. I began watching from the south shore at 1:20 and had a kite appear over the tree line to the northeast at 1:43pm. The bird never came to the pond itself, always staying off to the east before disappearing behind trees.

I was never able to confidently age the bird, as it was distant and against a bright gray sky.

I would wager money that the bird was in the vicinity of Firetown Rd when I first picked up on it. Further searching of the neighborhood may, in time, reveal a nesting location. These birds successfully bred a handful of years ago at the end of a quiet nearby cul-de-sac, but that nest apparently hasn't been used since then.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT

Sent from my iPhone