[CT Birds] Roger Tory Peterson Bird Fest 2014

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Thu May 15 18:56:58 EDT 2014

Good evening all,

I want to invite everyone to join us in Western New York for the Roger
Tory Peterson Bird Fest 2014 this June 6-7 by the Roger Tory Peterson
Institute of Natural History. Twan and I would love to see many of our
Connecticut friends on these exciting birding trips and our keynote
speaker, Joel Greenberg, author of 'A Feathered River Across the Sky:
The Passenger Pigeon's Flight to Extinction'. Just today we posted
Twan's impressive photos of Passenger Pigeons in our collection:

Details are below and more information can be found here:
Registration is here:

Hope to see you then!

Friday June 6
Excursion 1: Wetlands
6:30-11:30 AM
Trip leader: Don Watts

Destination: Akeley Swamp State Game Lands
Details: The Akeley Swamp State Game Lands consist of 365 acres of
mostly level wetlands along the Conewango Creek. The site has three
ponds interspersed with open fields and oak-hickory forest. Two
abandoned railroad grades are maintained as walking trails. Akeley Swamp
has been designated an Important Bird Area by the Pennsylvania Audubon

Lunch at RTPI - $10

Friday June 6
Excursion 2: Grasslands
12:30-4:30 PM
Trip leader: Twan Leenders, Jim Berry

Destinations: Jamestown Airport, Clay Pond Wildlife Management Area and
other local grasslands and agricultural hot spots.
Details: In 2013 RTPI staff confirmed nesting Henslow's Sparrow and
Grasshopper Sparrow at the Chautauqua County/Jamestown Airport. We will
search for these rare and important state-listed species along with
other grassland specialties such as the Eastern Meadowlark, Bobolink,
and Savannah Sparrow at the airport and at other nearby locations. We
will visit Clay Pond WMA to see some uncommon dragonfly species zipping
through the grasses and spot nesting Osprey, Green Heron and shrubland

Saturday June 7
Excursion 3: Forest
Trip leader: Tim Baird

Destination: Allegany State Park
Details: Comprising approximately 66,000 acres, Allegany State Park is
the largest state park in our area. This park is situated in the only
unglaciated area in New York State. Consequently the topography - deeply
incised, V-shaped valleys eroded by water and not ice - is totally
different from the lower elevations and glacier-sculpted venues of most
of the other field trips. Allegany State Park is among the best places
in the region to see tracts of mature forest. The valleys' fast-moving
streams attract Louisiana Waterthrush. The outlet of Red House Lake is
particularly attractive to many other species of warblers, flycatchers
and Indigo Buntings. Higher elevations provide habitat for thrushes,
accipiters, Red-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawks, as well as vireos and
Scarlet Tanager.

Lunch at RTPI - $10

Saturday June 7
Excursion 4: Escarpment
12:30-4:30 PM
Trip leader: Terry Mosher

Destinations: Fredonia College Lodge along with nearby agricultural and
marsh lands near Lake Erie.
Details: Along the shady, wooded trails of the Fredonia College Lodge
and other nearby locations, we'll enjoy the crossing of southern and
boreal breeding species. Target birds will include Northern and
Louisiana Waterthrush, Hooded and Canada Warbler, Acadian and Alder
Flycatcher, Yellow-billed and Black-billed Cuckoo. We will search for
nesting rarities such as the Red-headed Woodpecker and Least Bittern in
nearby hot spots. As we identify birds by sight and sound, we'll also
look for late-blooming wildflowers and a variety of local butterflies.

KEYNOTE SPEAKER - Joel Greenberg
Friday June 6
6:30 PM

Joel Greenberg has over 25 years' experience working on natural resource
related issues in the Midwest. Currently a Research Associate of both
the Field Museum and the Chicago Academy of Sciences Peggy Notebaert
Nature Museum, he has authored four books including Of Prairie, Woods,
and Waters: Two Centuries of Chicago Nature Writing (2008, University of
Chicago Press.); A Natural History of the Chicago Region (2002,
University of Chicago Press); and his new book A Feathered River Across
the Sky: The Passenger Pigeon's Flight to Extinction, published by
Bloomsbury USA, which will be available for purchase.

For the past four years Joel has been a leader in Project Passenger
Pigeon, which aims to mark the anniversary of the species' extinction.
He is co-producing with director David Mrazek the documentary, From
Billions to None: The Passenger Pigeon's Flight to Extinction. Greenberg
has JD and MA degrees from Washington University.

Find more information about Joel and his books here:

For additional information about Bird Fest 2014 email RTPI at
birdfest at rtpi.org or give us a call at 716-665-2473.

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
311 Curtis Street