[CT Birds] 5/18 Granby - Mourning and Hooded Warbler, FOY Willow Fly

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Mon May 19 06:14:54 EDT 2014

On the last day of the Hartford Audubon Society spring census, my wife Chris and I were able to round up five new species for the year: Mourning Warbler and Hooded Warbler, a couple of Willow Flycatchers, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Golden-crowned Kinglet.  Although it sang 40 times or more, the Mourning Warbler refused to show itself.  The Hooded Warbler was singing away (and sat for a close-up ten feet away) in the exact location I found it three years ago at Holcomb Farm, along the Laurel Trail on a downslope churned into a quagmire by horses.  Fittingly, two fellow Southerners -- a pair of Black Vultures -- circled low overhead in a gap in the forest canopy at the same time.

Red-breasted Nuthatch has been scarce in Granby this year, and we seldom find a Golden-crowned Kinglet outside the winter months.  They were together in one of the few spruce groves in town.  I had the singular pleasure of being castigated by both species of Kinglet on the same day.  A surprisingly late Ruby-crowned told me off early this morning, and the Golden-crowned berated Chris and me both a few hours later -- crowns raised on both occasions.

We equaled our best record for the H.A.S. census, 127 species.  I congratulate Alex Burdo and James Purcell, the team that just found that many birds in a single day in Fairfield County!  We needed three weeks, but we did it all in one inland town, and we are thrilled.  Last weekend's Golden-winged Warbler was the jewel of a successful spring count.

John Weeks
Chris Chinni
(with contributions from Scott Fowler, Jamie Gamble, Lowell Kahn, Bob Lindeyer and Carolyn Flint)