[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Wed May 21 14:09:05 EDT 2014

​5/21  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, 10-1PM, sunny/overcast,
70F, low tide receding.
Very busy at the center today- classes of all ages, bird walks, visitors.
At the Purple Martin condos-13 PURPLE MARTINS seen-probably more. Birds
seen on grounds include
1 female COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, TREE & BARN SWALLOWS, ROBINS, GRACKLES, 1
CHIMNEY SWIFT flyover, CARDINAL.
On marsh: 4 SNOWY EGRETS, 3 GREAT EGRETS, BRANT, GREAT BLACKBACKED GULL,
HERRING GULLS, SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS, SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS,  COMMON
TERNS, OSPREYS, MALLARD, MUTE SWANS.
At 10AM the female osprey was on the nest, arranging the plastic garbage
bag very neatly around her.  There is a bottle with a blue cap on the nest
and another piece of paper or bag. Male was on the mudflat eating a fish
(Bunker-I am told) which he brought to the female at 11:10AM.  She flew off
then to the perch with the fish.  At 11:20,  2 other ospreys were flying
overhead which set our male to calling a lot. One of those stray ospreys
landed on the nest-our male jumped off the eggs and pecked the stray
osprey, which then departed. Male returned to eggs. First egg should have
hatched already, so it may not be viable.  Waiting for the others to hatch.
Female finished the fish, flew around the marsh and then returned to the
nest at noon.
The 2 stray ospreys seem to be the occupants of a "nest" (a bunch of logs,
large branches )on ground level on the marsh.  They are sitting/standing on
those branches, but it doesn't seem to be very practical.  Louise thinks
that they are possibly juveniles who have returned and are not quite
experienced enough yet in housekeeping etc.
At 11:50, a student brought in/showed us a baby 1" terrapin which they
found while doing their research.  She was instructed to return it to the
muddy edge of the marsh, but not in the water.  Apparently they are
hatching now.
The 3 nests that I observed last week (2 grackle & 1 mourning dove), each
with babies, are now empty.  Possibly a predator got to them, because the
babies were not near to fledging yet.
Bev Propen, Orange