[CT Birds] Salem, Lyme, and E. Lyme birding: YB Cuckoos, Swainson's Thrush, Cerulean Warbler, etc.

Sailcarm via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Thu May 22 20:52:17 EDT 2014

Denise Jernigan and I spent the day in the Salem, Lyme, and E. Lyme area.   A most productive day, in spite of some occasional rain.

Here are the highlights:

Salem in the Rt. 82 area:  28 sp. including 1 YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO (heard), 2 Scarlet Tanager, 2 Indigo Bunting, 1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 2 RT Hummingbird, 1 E. Wood Pewee, 2 YT Vireo, several other nesting species, 7 sp. of warblers incl. CERULEAN, BT Green, and Blue-winged.

Darling and Gungy Rd, Salem and Lyme: 28 sp. including Barred Owl, Least Flycatcher, Warbling Vireo, Magnolia Warbler , Blue-winged Warbler, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Rose-breasted Grosbeak

East Lyme portion of Nehantic State Forest: 18 sp. including 2 YB CUCKOOS seen together, 1 SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 5 Veery, 1 Warbling Vireo, 5 sp. of warbler incl. Worm-eating and Prairie.

Everywhere today there was a background chorus of RE Vireo, Wood Thrush, Ovenbird, Baltimore Oriole, and, it almost goes without saying, the ubiquitous Redstart. In one meadow in Salem Denise and I enjoyed watching a f. B. Oriole take nesting material back to her nest.   The majority of our species were nesting birds, not migrants.

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford
Sent from my iPad