[CT Birds] Boston Hollow (Yale Forest area) Ashford, 5/20/14

via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Wed May 21 17:53:21 EDT 2014

Sorry, a day late.
When I arrived this am I was unhappy to find a strong wind  blowing through
the Hollow, which made me rush to put on the jacket I wasn't  going to
need. And my drive the length of BH Road was very quiet compared to my  trip
last week and our walk on Sunday. I guess the birds were hunkered down too,  or
putting on their jackets. Once I turned onto Barlow Mill Road, however, the
 wind seemed to abate a bit (maybe because I was outside the confines of
the  Hollow or because of  the direction of travel). And I found the northern
end of that road very  birdy indeed, especially at the old overgrown
clear-cut area on the right.
Highlights were an Acadian Flycatcher way up at the north  end, the Brown
Creeper I missed last week and the number of Purple Finches, more  than I've
ever noted there before. I saw at least 5 (three females) and judging  from
the number I could hear singing there were more than that. I had one male
right out over the road, singing away, and another perched just 15 feet back.
 Maybe there are actually so many that territory is becoming an issue.
(Note:  there are also Warbling Vireos in that area, and I always have to stand
and  listen for a while to be sure which is which).
I now think I may have heard the Acadian last week, but there  was a Least
Flycatcher in the same area and I suspect I didn't listen carefully  enough,
because I have never had Acadian there before. I didn't hear the Least  at
all today. There now seem to be about as many Lousiana Waterthrushes as
Northerns, perhaps more. Some are way up on Barlow Mill Rd.
Ebird list: (Some of these numbers are estimates and VERY  conservative)
Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
May 20, 2014 9:15 AM - 1:15  PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
45 species

Wood Duck   1
Mallard  2
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-tailed Hawk   1
Mourning Dove  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Acadian  Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  15
Blue-headed Vireo   15     very low estimate. they are singing all along
both  roads.
Red-eyed Vireo  3
Blue Jay  1
White-breasted  Nuthatch  1