[CT Birds] Raven Luna-ticks Big Day results 2014

Frank Gallo via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Sat May 24 15:12:46 EDT 2014

Hi Folks,

This year, we, the Raven Luna-ticks√, proved the extent of our craziness by running two Big Days in the same week. Remarkably, the final tally was the same for each, 188 species, the second highest state total recorded to date, and not far behind the record of 192. Amazingly, there was a nine species difference between the two runs. Imagine if we could have combined the days...

Highlights of our second run included, Northern Saw-whet Owl, King Eider, Horned Lark, Iceland Gull, all three accipiters, all three scoters, all three mergansers, 2 Buffleheads, and a King Rail, the last bird of the evening, and a first for our Big Days! Frustrating misses included, Belted Kingfisher, Great Horned Owl, Acadian Flycatcher, Laughing Gull, and the world's most uncooperative White-eyed Vireo on the planet!

We learned a lot from doing two runs back-to-back, and we're quite pleased with our results. The team is now well positioned to achieve higher totals in the future. We are especially pleased that we have already raised $4435 in pledges to support the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center. Many people helped us with our goal, and the team would like to thank you all for your wonderful support! I'll be posting a story about our day on our blog in the next week or two, so stay tuned.

We are now just over $500 from reaching our goal of $5000. Please visit the Raven Luna-ticks√ birding team's <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001N34CEmzM2XMvDsLZ_j_nEYPFlTwIML0a_7F7JnF0LpG-Yl3aUiU2EVQnM9wJzeAQwJKpBCe2T6BozMKCYxevouI28f4ZzZ07NqYaxcozdF0ZXIGgDya_c4CNv3pZaGA3iuAtVMvQObpkE5B8I3CMfQwIya4rpomj> fundraising page<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001N34CEmzM2XMvDsLZ_j_nEYPFlTwIML0a_7F7JnF0LpG-Yl3aUiU2EVQnM9wJzeAQwJKpBCe2T6BozMKCYxevouI28f4ZzZ07NqYaxcozdF0ZXIGgDya_c4CNv3pZaGA3iuAtVMvQObpkE5B8I3CMfQwIya4rpomj> to make a donation today and help us reach our target.

Thank you all again for supporting our Connecticut Audubon Society team!

Frank and the Raven Luna-ticks√ Team, Nick Bonomo, Patrick Dugan, Dave Tripp, and Fran Zygmont

Frank Gallo, Director

Connecticut Audubon Society

Coastal Center at Milford Point

1 Milford Point Road, Milford, CT 06460