[CT Birds] East Haven Marsh Request for Info on birds

Comins, Patrick via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Tue May 27 15:24:37 EDT 2014

There is a proposal to construct a trail through the East Haven Marsh Wildlife Area in East Haven and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the use of the area by state-listed species.  It is not an area that I have much info on.

Here is the current list of endangered, threatened and special concern species:
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/nongame/ets10.pdf

In particular I'm interested in use by the following species (apologies that they aren't in taxonomic order):
Great Egret foraging
American Bittern, winter or nesting
Little Blue Heron foraging
Snowy Egret foraging
Least Bittern any use
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron,  any use
Glossy Ibis foraging
Blue-winged Teal (nesting only)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (nesting only)
Broad-winged Hawk (nesting only)
Northern Harrier
Peregrine Falcon foraging in nesting season
American Kestrel (nesting only)
Bald Eagle, any use
Common Gallinule (nesting only, yeah right)
King Rail, any use
American Oystercatcher foraging or nesting in the area
Common Tern, foraging in nesting season
Least Tern, foraging in nesting season or any nesting in the area.
Northern Saw-whet Owl, migration or winter
Short-eared Owl, any use
Long-eared Owl, any use
Barn Owl (not likely, but any use)
Eastern Whip-Poor-Will, nesting
Seaside Sparrow
Saltmarsh Sparrow
Ipswich  Sparrow (winter use)
Purple Martin, nesting or foraging
Brown Thrasher, nesting

Additionally, any reports of wood or eastern box turtle from the uplands would be useful.

Please include dates of sighting and specific location.

Thank you!

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut