[CT Birds] Lake Bethany - Acadian Flycatcher, Winter Wren, BT Green Warblers

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Tue May 27 23:17:58 EDT 2014

Although I'm only down in that trail once a year or so, that is the first Acadian Flycatcher report I've heard of in almost a decade.

Over the years, that West River hemlock ravine and adjacent areas (including power cuts) have held Barred Owl, N Goshawk, all woodpeckers including Pileated Woodpecker, Wild Turkey, BT Green Warbler, Winter Wren, LA Waterthrush, Prairie Warbler, Field Sparrow, Bl Winged Warbler, Black and White Warbler, Pine Warbler, RS Towhee, Veery (nesting at tree roots), Wood Thrush, Wood Pewee, Scarlet Tanager, RB Grosbeak, and others.  Although a common habitat to the north, it is a unique area in the immediate New Haven area (ie, the New Haven CBC/SBC Count Circle).

Thanks for posting John, it's great to hear that an Acadian Flycatcher returned.  That made my day.

Steve Mayo
Bethany