[CT Birds] Tentative Big Weekend Complete List (long)

Comins, Patrick via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Fri May 30 12:29:07 EDT 2014

Below is the tentative cumulative list from the big weekend.  So far we are at 218 species combined (plus one hybrid for which both parent species were not also observed, Little Blue X Tricolored Heron), giving hope for those who would like to hit 200 on a Connecticut Big Day.  Team Audubon Connecticut's tally for the weekend currently stands at 183.  I missed two species from that total (Alder Flycatcher and Sharp-shinned Hawk), giving me 181. Please let me know if you have anything to add, or what your weekend total was.  I also apologize for taking so long to tally the totals.

I think the biggest misses are (some of which less surprising than others):
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Great Cormorant
Cattle Egret
Tricolored Heron
Mississippi Kite
Whimbrel
Marbled Godwit
Red Knot
Stilt Sandpiper
Black Tern
Long-eared Owl
Northern Saw-whet Owl
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Horned Lark
Bicknell's Thrush
American Pipit
Brewster's, Lawrence's or Golden-winged Warbler
Mourning Warbler (unless I missed someone's report)
Yellow-breasted Chat
Summer Tanager
Rusty Blackbird
Pine Siskin
and Evening Grosbeak

Connecticut, US, US-CT
May 17, 2014 12:00 AM
Protocol: Incidental
Comments:     Complete weekend tally for entire state all observers.
218 species (+1 other taxa)

Brant  X
Canada Goose  X
Mute Swan  X
Wood Duck  X
Gadwall  X
American Black Duck  X
Mallard  X
Ring-necked Duck  X
Greater Scaup  X
Lesser Scaup  X
Common Eider  X     Harkness
Surf Scoter  X
White-winged Scoter  X
Black Scoter  X
Long-tailed Duck  X
Bufflehead  X
Hooded Merganser  X
Common Merganser  X
Red-breasted Merganser  X
Ring-necked Pheasant  X
Ruffed Grouse  1     By CAS team
Wild Turkey  X
Red-throated Loon  X
Common Loon  X
Northern Gannet  X     Off Madison, adult
Double-crested Cormorant  X
American Bittern  X
Least Bittern  X
Great Blue Heron  X
Great Egret  X
Snowy Egret  X
Little Blue Heron  X
Little Blue x Tricolored Heron (hybrid)  1     Photographed at Hammonasset on Sunday
Green Heron  X
Black-crowned Night-Heron  X
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  X
Glossy Ibis  X
White-faced Ibis  1     Seen Sunday by Glenn Williams Phil Rusch and others at Hammo.
Black Vulture  X
Turkey Vulture  X
Osprey  X
Swallow-tailed Kite  1     At Cove Island Park on Friday, Patrick Dugan I think
Northern Harrier  X     Milford Point, over marsh.
Sharp-shinned Hawk  X
Cooper's Hawk  X
Northern Goshawk  1     Photographed pair at known nesting location
Bald Eagle  X
Red-shouldered Hawk  X
Broad-winged Hawk  X
Red-tailed Hawk  X
Clapper Rail  X
Virginia Rail  X
Sora  X
American Coot  X
American Oystercatcher  X
Black-bellied Plover  X
Semipalmated Plover  X
Piping Plover  X
Killdeer  X
Spotted Sandpiper  X
Solitary Sandpiper  X
Greater Yellowlegs  X
Willet  X
Lesser Yellowlegs  X
Upland Sandpiper  X
Ruddy Turnstone  X
Sanderling  X
Dunlin  X
Purple Sandpiper  X
Least Sandpiper  X
White-rumped Sandpiper  X
Semipalmated Sandpiper  X
Short-billed Dowitcher  X
Wilson's Snipe  X
American Woodcock  X
Red-necked Phalarope  X     Photographed, Guilford
Bonaparte's Gull  X
Laughing Gull  X
Ring-billed Gull  X
Herring Gull  X
Iceland Gull  1     2 at Long Beach, one photographed.
Lesser Black-backed Gull  X
Glaucous Gull  1     Photographed at East River CAS team had one in Milford too.
Great Black-backed Gull  X
Least Tern  X
Caspian Tern  X
Common Tern  X
Arctic Tern  1     Probable, at Batteson Pond in New Britain, by Paul C.
Forster's Tern  X
Black Skimmer  X
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  X
Mourning Dove  X
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  X
Black-billed Cuckoo  X
Eastern Screech-Owl  X
Great Horned Owl  X
Barred Owl  X
Common Nighthawk  X
Eastern Whip-poor-will  X
Chimney Swift  X
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  X
Belted Kingfisher  X
Red-bellied Woodpecker  X
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  X
Downy Woodpecker  X
Hairy Woodpecker  X
Northern Flicker  X
Pileated Woodpecker  X
American Kestrel  X
Merlin  X
Peregrine Falcon  X
Monk Parakeet  X
Eastern Wood-Pewee  X
Acadian Flycatcher  X
Alder Flycatcher  1     Several reliable observers
Willow Flycatcher  X
Least Flycatcher  X
Eastern Phoebe  X
Great Crested Flycatcher  X
Eastern Kingbird  X
White-eyed Vireo  X
Yellow-throated Vireo  X
Blue-headed Vireo  X
Warbling Vireo  X
Philadelphia Vireo  1     Seen and heard, Lake Bethany and other reports.
Red-eyed Vireo  X
Blue Jay  X
American Crow  X
Fish Crow  X
Common Raven  X
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  X
Purple Martin  X
Tree Swallow  X
Bank Swallow  X
Barn Swallow  X
Cliff Swallow  X
Black-capped Chickadee  X
Tufted Titmouse  X
Red-breasted Nuthatch  X
White-breasted Nuthatch  X
Brown Creeper  X
House Wren  X
Winter Wren  X
Marsh Wren  X
Carolina Wren  X
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  X
Golden-crowned Kinglet  X
Eastern Bluebird  X
Veery  X
Gray-cheeked Thrush  X
Swainson's Thrush  X
Hermit Thrush  X
Wood Thrush  X
American Robin  X
Gray Catbird  X
Brown Thrasher  X
Northern Mockingbird  X
European Starling  X
Cedar Waxwing  X
Ovenbird  X
Worm-eating Warbler  X
Louisiana Waterthrush  X
Northern Waterthrush  X
Blue-winged Warbler  X
Black-and-white Warbler  X
Prothonotary Warbler  1     Jim Hunter in Wilton
Tennessee Warbler  X
Nashville Warbler  X
Kentucky Warbler  X     By Charlie Barnard
Common Yellowthroat  X
Hooded Warbler  X
American Redstart  X
Cape May Warbler  X
Cerulean Warbler  X
Northern Parula  X
Magnolia Warbler  X
Bay-breasted Warbler  X
Blackburnian Warbler  X
Yellow Warbler  X
Chestnut-sided Warbler  X
Blackpoll Warbler  X
Black-throated Blue Warbler  X
Pine Warbler  X
Yellow-rumped Warbler  X
Prairie Warbler  X
Black-throated Green Warbler  X
Canada Warbler  X
Wilson's Warbler  X
Eastern Towhee  X
Chipping Sparrow  X
Field Sparrow  X
Savannah Sparrow  X
Grasshopper Sparrow  X
Nelson's Sparrow  1     Seen and heard, East River marsh, Sunday
Saltmarsh Sparrow  X
Seaside Sparrow  X
Song Sparrow  X
Lincoln's Sparrow  X
Swamp Sparrow  X
White-throated Sparrow  X
White-crowned Sparrow  X
Dark-eyed Junco  X
Scarlet Tanager  X
Northern Cardinal  X
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  X
Blue Grosbeak  1     Jim Hunter in Wilton
Indigo Bunting  X
Bobolink  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Eastern Meadowlark  X
Common Grackle  X
Boat-tailed Grackle  X     Stratford Warehouse Pool
Brown-headed Cowbird  X
Orchard Oriole  X
Baltimore Oriole  X
House Finch  X