[CT Birds] Boston Hollow area, Ashford, Saturday, 5-31 and Sunday, 6-1-14

via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Sun Jun 1 20:35:24 EDT 2014

A total of 53 Species over the last 2 days. I had 2 Acadian  Flycatchers
today, both seen and heard, in locations over 2 miles apart. Also, I  had a
Prairie Warbler, 2nd time ever in the Yale forest area, as there is not  much
habitat there for them.

Along with Howie Sternberg and friends, yesterday we had a  Black-billed
Cuckoo and a Yellow- billed in the same location at the same time.  They were
in a clearing logged about 4 years ago, and a lot of black (choke)  cherry
was left standing. There are a few tent caterpillars in those trees and  the
Black-billed was seen eating one of them.
Does anyone else  feel there are an exceptional number of  Cuckoo sightings
being reported right now?

Don Morgan
Coventry

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
May 31, 2014 9:30 AM - 2:00  PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Met  Howie Sternberg and 2 friends there
41 species

Mallard   1
Turkey Vulture  1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Black-billed  Cuckoo  1
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Least Flycatcher   1
Eastern Phoebe  4
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Blue-headed  Vireo  8
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Black-capped Chickadee   3
Tufted Titmouse  1
Winter Wren  3
Eastern Bluebird   2
Veery  8
Wood Thrush  2
Gray Catbird   4
Ovenbird  12
Worm-eating Warbler  2
Louisiana  Waterthrush  3
Northern Waterthrush  3
Black-and-white  Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  6
American Redstart   2
Magnolia Warbler  2
Blackburnian Warbler  4
Yellow  Warbler  6
Chestnut-sided Warbler  2
Black-throated Blue  Warbler  4
Pine Warbler  3
Black-throated Green Warbler   10
Canada Warbler  3
Eastern Towhee  2
Chipping Sparrow   1
Song Sparrow  4
Scarlet Tanager  2
Red-winged  Blackbird  4
Brown-headed Cowbird  6
Baltimore Oriole   1
Purple Finch  2
American Goldfinch  4

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Jun 1, 2014 8:15 AM - 12:15  PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Limited  area coverage. I spent a lot of time recording bird
songs, or trying to.
51  species

Turkey Vulture  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1