[CT Birds] 6/3 - Suffield WMA - 5 Grasshopper Sparrows

John Weeks via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Tue Jun 3 13:18:47 EDT 2014

The State's grassland-restoration efforts at this site are beginning to show results.  We found five singing male Grasshopper Sparrows this morning.  The available habitat is much larger than the area I checked, so there could be even more of them.  The two adjoining WMA's -- in Suffield and Southwick, Mass. -- are also home to Brown Thrasher, Prairie Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler, numerous Field Sparrows, Eastern Bluebird, Indigo Bunting, Eastern Meadowlark (one on the Southwick side this morning), and Kestrel (though none of these were detected today).

Access is from Babbs Road in West Suffield.  The signed entrance is just south of the MA/CT line.

John Weeks
Jim Watso