[CT Birds] (no subject)

via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Tue Jun 3 18:50:33 EDT 2014

Birds loud and active this morning in the Yale forest.  FOS  Red-breasted
Nuthatch and Bald Eagle there, and an Alder Flycatcher.  An ALFL was first
found yesterday at the millponds on Barlow Mill Rd  (thanks, Dana Campbell).;
one today at the marsh near the house on Barlow mill,  about half a mile
away. NOT heard at the millponds today. Possibly 2  birds.
I have now found Acadian Flycatchers at 5 different locations  in the Yale
forest this year. I have had as many as 3 in one day. I strongly  suspect
there are at least 4 in residence. One is now at the clearing on the  road to
the right off Boston Hollow Rd just before the bridge, where one  was first
found 3 years ago. It sometimes gives the "classic" Acadian call and
sometimes just a single note, very much like a Least Flycatcher, but if you know
both well you can tell the difference. And I have recordings of the male
using  both calls 3 years ago at that location, so It may be the same  bird.
I also had 2 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers for the first time this  morning,
using their distinctive drumming "call". They were about 100 yards  apart and
apparently answering each other. This is typical of a mated pair.

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Jun 3, 2014 8:45 AM - 1:15  PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.0 mile(s)
57 species