[CT Birds] Odd looking Downy: dark marks on breast.

Arthur Shippee via CTBirds ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Wed Jun 4 18:19:14 EDT 2014

At our feeders was a small woodpecker, which I took to be a Downey, but with dark striping or marks on the breast, and a slightly ruffled, unfinished look.  I took it to be a juvenile or newly fledged Downy.

But the books all say young downy look the same overall as the adults (excepting red on front for m.).

Not that I'm calling this a Nuttall's — not that crazy — but someone more experienced might be able to confirm that this was a Downy newby, or otherwise explain it.