[CT Birds] Saltmarsh Sparrows at Sandy Point, West Haven

Robert Hutton rvhuk at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 06:27:35 EDT 2014

I went to Sandy Point for a couple of days and among the great birds were a Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrow, a lifer bird for me, which I just had formally identified. Also found were, Least Terns, Two pairs of Common Terns, American Oystercatchers, a pair of Willets, Piping Plovers complete with chicks, Semipalmated Sandpipers, a pair of Yellow-crowned Night Herons, Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets and several Ruddy Turnstones.  I have been told that rails are often seen there too, can anyone confirm this?

Robert Hutton
Tel: 203-809-2763