[CT Birds] Out-of-season COMMON GOLDENEYE, Least Bittern, Black Skimmers and RB Nuthatch

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Jun 7 21:33:09 EDT 2014

6/7/14:  A very good day of birding for the New Haven Summer Bird Count.  We
started at Maltby Lakes in Orange where the highlights included a pair of
Red-breasted Nuthatches (rare here after a non-irruption year like this past
winter) and a first year male Orchard Oriole.  Other notable birds included
Green Heron, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Barred Owl, Prairie Warbler, and Field
Sparrow.  A visit to the Racebrook Tract in Orange/Woodbridge was
highlighted by the finding of a late Magnolia Warbler.  Then, it was on to
the Quinnipiac River Marsh for some birding by kayak.  We found a Least
Bittern, a male Gadwall, and an out-of-season drake COMMON GOLDENEYE.  The
last stop of our day was the Farm River mouth in East Haven/Branford where
we saw five BLACK SKIMMERS roosting on their favorite rock.

The Common Goldeneye is interesting.  Last year, there was an out-of-season
drake Bufflehead in the river much of the summer.  One possible explanation
is that these birds had a failed molt and were unable to fly north to their
breeding grounds.  So they stayed in the protected river marsh for the

Full reports on ebird.   82 species on the day.  More birding for the SBC

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,