[CT Birds] Boston Hollw, yale forest area, Ashford, 67 and 6/8/14

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Jun 8 21:29:04 EDT 2014

This is a cumulative report for the 2 days. I covered  approximately half
the territory each day, with some overlap, but I tried not to  double count
in the same places. A Red-shouldered Hawk was circling the pigeon  coops by
the house, some very lucky birds I think, since several were out. The  hawk
was immature which may be why it hesitated. I am now noticing that while
some birds are scarce this year, some are unusually abundant. Blackburnian
Warblers and Black-throated Blue Warblers are 2 examples. Also, Purple Finches
and Brown Creepers. Overall a very good year for a lot of the Yale Forest
I had not seen or heard a Cedar Waxwing until 4 or  5 days ago, and now
they are everywhere, calling loudly. Heard my first  Barred Owl in Boston
Hollow in 2 years Saturday. They were around most of  the time before then. Ebird
report below
Don Morgan
Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Jun 8, 2014 6:30 AM - 2:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
Comments:     This  is a cumulative report for 6/7 and 6/8/14. Approx half
the area covered each  day. No known duplication.
68 species

Wood Duck   1
Mallard  3
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture   5
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Broad-winged Hawk  4
Red-tailed  Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  7
Barred Owl  1
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3
Downy Woodpecker   1
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern  Wood-Pewee  7
Acadian Flycatcher  2
Least Flycatcher   3
Eastern Phoebe  8
Great Crested Flycatcher  4
Eastern  Kingbird  1
Blue-headed Vireo  12     NOt unusual in  Boston Hollow area. Found
Warbling Vireo  2
Red-eyed  Vireo  12
Blue Jay  4
Common Raven  1
Barn Swallow   1
Black-capped Chickadee  15
Tufted Titmouse  4
Red-breasted  Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper   6     more than I've ever seen or heard in the area before.
#  probably low.
Winter Wren  3
Eastern Bluebird  2
Veery   12
Hermit Thrush  1
Wood Thrush  2
American Robin   20
Gray Catbird  10
European Starling  2
Cedar Waxwing   20
Ovenbird  20
Worm-eating Warbler  2
Louisiana  Waterthrush  5
Northern Waterthrush  4
Blue-winged Warbler   1
Black-and-white Warbler  6
Common Yellowthroat  10
American  Redstart  1
Magnolia Warbler  3
Blackburnian Warbler   10     Very abundant this year. More than ever.
Yellow  Warbler  15
Chestnut-sided Warbler  10
Black-throated Blue  Warbler  8
Pine Warbler  6