[CT Birds] East Granby Peregrine

Brian Kleinman snaketat at cox.net
Wed Jun 11 09:48:29 EDT 2014

I just had a PEREGRINE FALCON fly over Dunkin¹ Doughnuts this morning in the
center of East Granby.  The bird was flying low but backlit so I could not
see if was an adult or juvenile.  From the size of the bird my guess is that
it was a male.  There are ledges off of Newgate Road and Hungary Road in
East Granby which would be an ideal spot for a Peregrine nest.  I measured
the distance from the nearest Peregrine nest in Hartford to the East Granby
sighting and it is 16 miles ³as the crow flies² (pun intended), so I¹m not
sure how far from the nest an adult will travel to look for food ­ since
there are more pigeons in Hartford it would seem to me that this Peregrine
came from somewhere else.

If anyone else sees a Peregrine in the Granby, East Granby, Suffield, or
Windsor Locks area please be sure to post.  It would be great to document a
nest in this area.

Thanks!

Brian Kleinman
Riverside Reptiles