[CT Birds] Sherwood Island Purple Martin News

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 12 19:51:52 EDT 2014

Just wanted to let folks know that all 24 Martin gourds at Sherwood Island State Park in Westport are occupied with Purple Martins.All gourds have eggs,most having five eggs. I found the first four hatchlings today and expect almost all will  hatch within the next two weeks.This story began in April of this year.It only took a few days before the Purple Martin "scouts" found the newly installed gourds the second week of April.Since that
first sighting,the birds increased in numbers and soon began their task of gathering nesting material and settling in. We are hopeful that our martins will have many healthy fledglings with a little bit of human intervention.
A huge thank you and credit goes to Miley Bull, Senior Director of Science and Conservation at CT Audubon Society,for helping my dream of bringing Purple Martins to Sherwood Island become reality.
Thanks to Miley for his help,support,and generosity.And thanks to park supervisor James
Beschle and his staff for their help as well.
If you're in Westport,stop by the nature center at Sherwood Island to see our "new residents".

Tina Green
Westport
Westport
Sent from my iPhone