[CT Birds] FW: Eisenhower Park Hidden Gems Walk

Schlesinger, Lee Lee.Schlesinger at purchase.edu
Sat Jun 14 17:39:08 EDT 2014

From: Schlesinger, Lee
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2014 5:24 PM
To: Frank Gallo
Subject: RE: Eisenhower Park Hidden Gems Walk

I want to second Frank's enthusiasm for Eisenhower Park, a place I have birded fairly often over the years.  A corner of it, including part of what Frank's group studied, is in "my" Christmas/Summer Count territory, and especially when I lived nearby, I visited it regularly.  Among the good birds I have seen there are (also, and last weekend on the Summer Count) Orchard Oriole, Great Egret (also last weekend) in the pond, Kentucky Warbler (now I'm recalling birds from a more distant past...), Redpoll, Northern Shrike, many hawks of various species, Great Horned Owl, Pileated Woodpecker, Willow Flycatcher, Redstart (during the breeding season), Yellow-Rumped Warbler (winter), Red-Breasted Nuthatch (a summer count!), and more.  In the very old days, before the spiffy golf course was built across the street, there was a ruined orchard on part of that land.  On Christmas Count night, I stood in the middle of it and made squeaking sounds.  First a Gray Fox trotted right up to me; then a Long-Eared Owl flew up the path, directly at me, banked off at the last minute, perched in a nearby tree and barked like a little dog.  Parts of Eisenhower still feel that isolated and suburban-wild.  A gem indeed...

Lee Schlesinger
Port Chester, NY