[CT Birds] Red-headed Woodpecker-Greenwich (second hand report)

Stefan Martin nafets519 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 20:13:19 EDT 2014

A friend of mine just texted me with a rather encouraging and believable sighting. He stated that he saw a Red-headed Woodpecker at his bird feeder today in North Greenwich. Oddly enough and rather fitting, we had recently discussed in depth, the differences between Red-bellied and Red-headed, the latter of which he had never seen before. He stated that it was 100% a Red-headed Woodpecker and that his wife sees the bird regularly. This is great news considering the timing of the sighting. I advised him to try and photograph the bird the next time he sees it. It's only a matter of time before these birds start nesting around here and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if that's the case. Either way, I will keep everyone posted.

Stefan Martin

Sent from my iPhone